[oslc-core] Need for an XML literal value type

Arthur Ryman ryman at ca.ibm.com
Thu Mar 18 22:40:04 EDT 2010

Dave,

Please explain why you are concerned. Literal XML is a standard feature of
RDF.

The pro for XML literal values is that we are using RDF in the way it was
designed. OSLC data may be combined with RDF data from other sources so we
should adhere to the standard. We do not want to create an OSLC dialect of
RDF.

For rich text, we should adopt XHTML as the standard interchange format,
and we should transfer it in RDF/XML as literal XML, not obfuscate it by
turning it into a string.

Many development tools capture rich text. Adopting a standard rich text
format for OSLC, i.e. XHTML, simplifies processing (e.g. inclusion of rich
text in UIs, documents and reports) and interchange (so tools only have to
understand one format as opposed to understand RTF, HTML, etc.). XHTML has
a simpler syntax than HTML and is XML compliant so it can be readily
processed by many XML technologies.

In addition, there are other good reasons for using XML in general as the
value of a property, e.g. when there is an existing XML format, or when
plain old XML is a more natural way to represent a literal value
(otherwise you get an explosion of blank nodes).

Arthur Ryman, PhD, DE

Chief Architect, Project and Portfolio Management

IBM Software, Rational

Markham, ON, Canada | Office: 905-413-3077, Cell: 416-939-5063
Twitter | Facebook | YouTube