[oslc-core] Versioning and URI design

Arthur Ryman ryman at ca.ibm.com
Mon Mar 15 11:57:52 EDT 2010

Ian,

OSLC can offer implementation guidance wrt some goals, so we should make
these goals explict.  I think these are the goals OSLC needs to satisfy:

1. Versioning MUST be consistent with independent evolution of clients and
services, i.e. a change in the server MUST never break existing clients.
This is the essence of loose coupling on the Web.

2. Since URLs get stored in many places, they MUST continue to work,
possibly through the use of standard HTTP mechanism such as redirection.

3. The syntax of URLs SHOULD be opaque, except for any standard query
parameters that OSLC defines.

Are these the right goals?

Arthur Ryman, PhD, DE

Chief Architect, Project and Portfolio Management

IBM Software, Rational

Markham, ON, Canada | Office: 905-413-3077, Cell: 416-939-5063
Twitter | Facebook | YouTube