[oslc-core] Comments on OSLCCorePartialUpdateDRAFT

Steve K Speicher sspeiche at us.ibm.com
Mon Mar 15 09:07:33 EDT 2010

These comments are on:
http://open-services.net/bin/view/Main/OSLCCorePartialUpdateDRAFT

1) This appears to address two separate issues:

a) updating only a subset of the properties of a resource

b) ability to add/update/remove values for a multi-valued property

Perhaps it would be more clear if this distinction was made

2) This statement is not completely accurate:

>>The Partial Update pattern used in the OSLC Change Management 1.0
specification has a couple of short-comings:
>>   - Does not work well for multi-valued properties.
It does work well, it just doesn't fit into some RESTful principles or RDF
necessarily cleanly.  Implementations have used this successfully. Perhaps
it should be made clear what the design flaw is.

>>   - Assigns a URI to a property, effectively making the property into a
resource. "
Yes, there is an added an attribute that has a URI of where to request all
or create a new entry.  I believe there was a similar issue with a
proposal that is not part of the spec.

3) Why is PUT not the way of updating the value of a single-value
property?  I can see that POST could be used also.

4) Why is there no way specified to update multi-valued properties?
There is one for multi-valued link properties.  Isn't a link just a type
of a property value?  Why does it need to be treated special?

5)  Efficient way to retrieve large multi-valued properties
One of the motivating factors in creating the level of indirection in CM
(aka @collref) was that we could apply pagination to these large
collections of properties.  The common theme to these was that they
contained links to other resources, like affected test cases or builds
included in, etc.

6) Deleting of one value from multi-valued properties
Overall this is an improvement to what we did in CM but still not sure why
this is restricted to property types of links.