[oslc-core] Fw: [oslc-cm] foaf:Person vs sioc:User for dc:creator or oslc_cm:owner ?

Samit Mehta samit.mehta at us.ibm.com
Fri Mar 5 10:12:26 EST 2010

Even though I am no expert on sioc:User or foaf:Person, I do understand
the two different concepts that Olivier brings up - a resource that
represents a live person and a resource that represents a user account. In
my opinion, we need to make use of both those concepts.  I'll use the CM
Spec example to make my point.

>From the current CM Spec perspective, I would think that the oslc_cm:owner
property should have values that are live people.  We should not limit
owners of a Change Request in a CM system to just user accounts in that
system - it should be allowed to have values that represent live people
with no user accounts in the system.  On the other hand, the
oslc_cm:creator should have values that are only user accounts.  Maybe we
should also consider an additional "submitter" property for the live
person that is the submitter.  CM systems that support a separate
"submitter" property that has values that represent live people can have
completely unrelated values for the "creator" and the "submitter"
properties.

Of course, a number of CM tools restrict the owner property values to just
users with accounts.  That is just a limitation of that CM system, but
need not be a limitation imposed by the OSLC Spec.  Implementations which
don't differentiate between the two resources internally can simply
provide the two representations (user account and person) of the same
resource.

Having these two different resources may also help in differentiating
between the role the user account has within the system and the
"organizational role" that the live person has.  I don't believe that
we've addressed the concept of "roles" as yet within the Core Spec.  It'll
be very interesting to see how that is addressed when we need to support
that in one of the specs.

If there was a way to use sioc:User and foaf:Person to represent these two
different resources and provide relationships (links) between them, then
it would flexibly support the different service provider implementations.

One other thought: the words "User" and "Person" are unfortunately still
somewhat confusing - it would have been really neat if it was really
"UserAccount" instead of "User" to really avoid the confusion.

Samit Mehta
(512) 323-9350 - Work
mailto:samit.mehta at us.ibm.com
IBM Rational Software - Business Development