[oslc-core] Adding "or" to the Simple Query Syntax

Andrew J Berner ajberner at us.ibm.com
Wed Mar 3 17:45:32 EST 2010

Steve Speicher wrote:

>> In CM we were able to accomplish most needed use cases for "or" by
introducing "in".

I suspect you're after something like "priority = high OR priority =
critical" and that can be replaced by "in".  But not all OR's can be so
replaced, even for relatively simple stuff.

The classic example is with "priority" of a change request.  As a manager,
I may want to see something about all the high priority changes requests.
But there are likely two priority attributes, a "customer priority" and a
"development priority"; so I need to say something like (forgive my
syntax):  "customer priority in (I'm going to your vice president,
critical, high) OR development priority in (blocker, high, really fun to
code)

Now whether this still needs to be implemented as part of the "simple query
syntax" is of course still a question, since it was never claimed that the
simple query syntax covers all cases.

Andy Berner
Lead Architect, ISV Technical Enablement and Strategy
IBM Rational Business Development
972 561-6599
ajberner at us.ibm.com

Ready for IBM Rational software partner program -
http://www.ibm.com/isv/rational/readyfor.html