[oslc-core] Signing up to look at service discovery

Arthur Ryman ryman at ca.ibm.com
Mon Mar 1 12:31:46 EST 2010

Steve/David,

FYI, Roy Fielding asserts that one of the defining principles of REST API
is that all interactions should be driven from links present in the
representation of the resource, i.e. given a resource URL it should be
possible to navigate from it to the service URL just by following links.
[1] He has a lot of extreme opinions, but I like this one.

In the Estimation spec, every resource instance (Project, Scenario,
Estimate, Baseline,..)  has a link to its containing List resource (e.g.
ProjectList, ..), which in term has a link to its Service resource. The
Service resource links to all the List resources. Each List resource links
to all of its member instance resource. Therefore, if you get any of these
resources you can navigate to any other resource within the service.

[1] http://roy.gbiv.com/untangled/2008/rest-apis-must-be-hypertext-driven

Arthur Ryman, PhD, DE

Chief Architect, Project and Portfolio Management

IBM Software, Rational

Markham, ON, Canada | Office: 905-413-3077, Cell: 416-939-5063
Twitter | Facebook | YouTube