[oslc-core] PREFIX dc: <http://purl.org/dc/elements/1.1/>

Arthur Ryman ryman at ca.ibm.com
Sat Jun 5 10:34:01 EDT 2010

<rant>

As I read more and more external specs, I see a very clear convention for
the meaning the prefix dc:. The conventional use is for the elements
namespace, not the terms namespace. dcterms: is used for the terms
namespace.

I have heard it asserted that if we align with the conventional use, then
we might somehow break existing clients, but I haven't see any actual
examples. I believe that it is better in the long term for  OSLC to align
with the norms of the larger Web community. We should therefore not
diverge on the grounds of being "bug compatible" with some early
implementations. Let's examine the real breakage, if any, and gracefully
deprecate the old usage. Going forward, new specs should align with the
convention.

</rant>

Arthur Ryman, PhD, DE

Chief Architect, Project and Portfolio Management

IBM Software, Rational

Markham, ON, Canada | Office: 905-413-3077, Cell: 416-939-5063
Twitter | Facebook | YouTube