[oslc-core] programmatic selection of creation factories

Dave snoopdave at gmail.com
Tue Jun 1 14:55:14 EDT 2010

On Tue, Jun 1, 2010 at 2:14 PM, Arthur Ryman <ryman at ca.ibm.com> wrote:
> I don't understand your statement: "Also, a Resource Shapes does not
> indicate which type it describes."
>
> The spec has a property on Resource Shape, oslc:describes, that identifies
> the rdf:type of the resource [1]. It seems the text has been edited, but
> the diagram shows it, and it is present in the examples [2]

Yes, you are correct and I made a mistake. I removed the
oslc:describes property without properly raising an issue on the
issues page. Somebody pointed out that shapes should not be tied to
types, which I thought was consensus, I dropped that property and then
forgot to raise/document it with an issue.

I just added it back, but I do wonder: do we really want to tie
resource types to shapes?

Back to the topic at hand...

With oslc:describes, there is a way to enable clients to
programmatically select a Creation Factory and a Query Capability.

But perhaps we are not quite there yet. Once a Creation Factory is
selected, a client would then have to select a Resource Shape. There
could be multiple Resource Shapes that describe any one OSLC defined
resource type, e.g. Task, Defect, Issue and Story shapes for a Change
Request. How does a client select a shape?

- Dave