[oslc-core] Proposal for Core issue Creation Resources #5 (was: programmatic selection of creation factories)

Steve K Speicher sspeiche at us.ibm.com
Mon Jun 14 15:36:10 EDT 2010

To summarize, there are a few scenarios to be supported:
1. Identify the type of resource that will be created.  For example,
Requirement, Change Request, ...
2. Identify the usage of the service.  For example, query the only returns
Test Cases ready to be tested, Change Requests that are currently active,

To support these two scenarios, I recommend we define two new properties:
1. oslc:resourceType  (anyURI, zero-or-many) Identifies the expected
resource type from requests to the associated service.  This URI does not
have to be in the namespace of OSLC.
2. oslc:usage  (type of anyURI, zero-or-many) Identifies service usage or
purpose for defined domain usage scenarios.

These addition properties apply to these resource types:
- Factory
- QueryCapability
- Dialogs

Sample:
   <oslc:service>
      <oslc:Service>
         <oslc:domain>http://example.com/xmlns/example-cm#</oslc:domain>

         <oslc:creationFactory>
            <oslc:CreationFactory>
               <dc:title>Location for creation of Blog Entries</dc:title>
               <oslc:label>Blog Entries</oslc:label>
               <oslc:creation rdf:resource="
http://example.com/creation/entries" />
               <oslc:shape rdf:resource="
http://example.com/shapes/blogentry" />
               <oslc:resourceType>
http://open-services.net/xmlns/bogus/blogs#Entry</oslc:resourceType>
               <oslc:usage>
http://open-services.net/xmlns/bogus/headlessBlogEntryCreation
</oslc:usage>
            </oslc:CreationFactory>
         </oslc:creationFactory>

      </oslc:Service>
   </oslc:service>

Note: Shape is not required for this.  If the type is a domain defined
resource type, the client can utilized hard-coded knowledge about the
shape.

Some suggestions that were excluded:
dcterms:identifer as it is "An unambiguous reference to the resource
within a given context. ",  which this is not as it is possible to have
multiple factories for the same resource type for instance.
dcterms:type which is defined as "The nature or genre of the resource."

I'm not married to the property names.  Feedback welcome on this addition.

----- Forwarded by Steve K Speicher/Raleigh/IBM on 06/14/2010 12:23 PM
-----