[oslc-core] oslc:usage should be a Resource

Arthur Ryman ryman at ca.ibm.com
Tue Jul 27 15:36:43 EDT 2010

Steve,

The recommended Web architecture for identifiers is to use URIs. That way
it is possible for third-parties to add information about them, i.e. the
identifier can become the subject of additional triples. You can't do that
with literals. Furthermore, you can request a URI and get back some useful
information. I hope OSLC can do this for all URIs in our domain.

There are some other reasons, e.g. design consistency, uniform spelling
(case is significant).

I sympathize with the impl comments, but the spec is still open for
correction. This seems like a minor change.

 Arthur Ryman, PhD, DE

 Chief Architect, Project and Portfolio Management

 IBM Software, Rational

 Markham, ON, Canada | Office: 905-413-3077, Cell:       Twitter | Facebook |
 416-939-5063                                                         YouTube

|------------>
| From:      |
|------------>
  |Steve K Speicher/Raleigh/IBM at IBMUS                                                                                                                |
|------------>
| To:        |
|------------>
  |Arthur Ryman <ryman at ca.ibm.com>                                                                                                                   |
|------------>
| Cc:        |
|------------>
  |oslc-core at open-services.net                                                                                                                       |
|------------>
| Date:      |
|------------>
  |07/27/2010 03:10 PM                                                                                                                               |
|------------>
| Subject:   |
|------------>
  |Re: [oslc-core] oslc:usage should be a Resource                                                                                                   |

The value that the core defines for default happens to use a anyURI value
type.  Since it has been defined as String, implementations have done it
this way already.  So it would possible for a domain to define "testCase"
but they haven't (or at least I don't think they have).

Does it provide any value for this usage string to be a URI for RDF?  Does
it make build a more meaningful graph?
I can see some merit in the change but I don't see a bit RDF advantage for
the switch.

I only hesitate as we have aligned some impls, spec and samples already.
Yet another change could be contained, just making sure its worth it at
this stage.