[oslc-core] "One last" change to OSLC Core representations

Andrew J Berner ajberner at us.ibm.com
Tue Jul 27 13:47:36 EDT 2010

+1 to what Samit said:

I was not proposing requiring (MUST) a single format in the Core Spec.  My
suggestion was that the Core Spec guide (or require) the Domain Specs to
make sure that clients only need to support a single representation for
EACH scenario.  The language you had proposed used phrases like "OSLC
domain specifications are expected to...".  I would prefer that this
language be made stronger.  Steve Speicher suggested using "SHOULD", and I
am ok with with Core Spec providing softer guidance to Domain Specs instead
of a hard requirement.

Scott Bosworth's point in his response was that all the Domain
Specifications are already "requiring" at least one specific representation
(currently that representation seems to be RDF/XML).  And I agree with him
that in practice my concern about clients having to support mulitple
formats are indeed unfounded.  However, I would much rather prefer that
this was clearly reflected in the Core Spec.  We can't assume what
specification someone would start reading first.  Frankly, I would hope
that some folks (especially service consumers) who are wanting to get an
exposure to the technical direction around OSLC start with the Core
Specification.  In those cases it would be nice if they immediately got the
picture that across OSLC we are focused on service consumers having to do
"less work" in order to support exactly the same scenario with mulitiple
providers.

My goal with this message was just to clarify my point.  I am convinced
that in practice we are meeting the goal... I just want to make sure that
we reflecting that practice in the specification.

I do not want to drag this discussion out any further and I am ok with
whatever you decide.

Andy Berner
Lead Architect, ISV Technical Enablement and Strategy
IBM Rational Business Development
972 561-6599
ajberner at us.ibm.com

Ready for IBM Rational software partner program -
http://www.ibm.com/isv/rational/readyfor.html