[oslc-core] "One last" change to OSLC Core representations

Samit Mehta samit.mehta at us.ibm.com
Tue Jul 27 12:45:37 EDT 2010

Dave,

Sorry for not responding to the various chains of emails on the concern I
had raised.

Based on some of the discussion, I think that the concern I had raised in
my original message may have been misinterpreted - Steve Speicher's
response clarifies what I was proposing.  I'll clarify.

I was not proposing requiring (MUST) a single format in the Core Spec.  My
suggestion was that the Core Spec guide (or require) the Domain Specs to
make sure that clients only need to support a single representation for
EACH scenario.  The language you had proposed used phrases like "OSLC
domain specifications are expected to...".  I would prefer that this
language be made stronger.  Steve Speicher suggested using "SHOULD", and I
am ok with with Core Spec providing softer guidance to Domain Specs
instead of a hard requirement.

Scott Bosworth's point in his response was that all the Domain
Specifications are already "requiring" at least one specific
representation (currently that representation seems to be RDF/XML).  And I
agree with him that in practice my concern about clients having to support
mulitple formats are indeed unfounded.  However, I would much rather
prefer that this was clearly reflected in the Core Spec.  We can't assume
what specification someone would start reading first.  Frankly, I would
hope that some folks (especially service consumers) who are wanting to get
an exposure to the technical direction around OSLC start with the Core
Specification.  In those cases it would be nice if they immediately got
the picture that across OSLC we are focused on service consumers having to
do "less work" in order to support exactly the same scenario with
mulitiple providers.

My goal with this message was just to clarify my point.  I am convinced
that in practice we are meeting the goal... I just want to make sure that
we reflecting that practice in the specification.

I do not want to drag this discussion out any further and I am ok with
whatever you decide.

Thanks for considering my feedback,
Samit Mehta
(512) 323-9350 - Work
mailto:samit.mehta at us.ibm.com
IBM Rational Software - Business Development