[oslc-core] "One last" change to OSLC Core representations

Arthur Ryman ryman at ca.ibm.com
Mon Jul 26 13:53:46 EDT 2010

Andy/Samit,

I think the current wording is OK because the specifications that OSLC is
publishing are open and voluntary. People will adopt them because they
find it beneficial to do so, not because OSLC enforces compliance, or even
certifies compliance. For any given specification, the service providers
will provide the formats that they believe will reach the largest
audience. This will attract a set of clients to support those formats.
This in turn will motivate new service providers to support those formats
so they can work with those clients. That is how standards become widely
adopted.

Today it appears that RDF/XML has the greatest uptake. Therefore, service
providers will support it. However, we know that there are arguably better
formats for RDF, e.g. Turtle, and those may become popular in the future.
I remember when XML was the preferred format for sending data to Web
browsers. Then JSON took over that role. Maybe a future wave of Web
browsers will have native Turtle support and RDF graphs will be included
in the DOM.

If OSLC service providers support RDF/XML, then it will become the de
facto standard. Today, not all implementations will use RDF toolkits. I
expect services to upgrade to RDF toolkits in future releases, in which
case they will be able to easily generate any RDF format. Maybe a standard
for RDF/JSON will appear. Then browsers will be able to indicate their
preferences and get potential performance improvements from services that
support multiple RDF formats.

So in practice, RDF/XML will be the lingua franca, but better formats
could take over in the future.

Arthur Ryman, PhD, DE

Chief Architect, Project and Portfolio Management

IBM Software, Rational

Markham, ON, Canada | Office: 905-413-3077, Cell: 416-939-5063
Twitter | Facebook | YouTube