[oslc-core] Suggested terminology change in core: Selective Property Values

Steve K Speicher sspeiche at us.ibm.com
Thu Jul 22 08:06:40 EDT 2010

> From: Dave <snoopdave at gmail.com>
> To: oslc-core <oslc-core at open-services.net>
> Date: 07/21/2010 04:25 PM
> Subject: Re: [oslc-core] Suggested terminology change in core:
> Selective Property Values
> Sent by: oslc-core-bounces at open-services.net
>
> I tried to avoid the term "partial resource" because there is no such
> thing. When you get a resource, you get the full thing. When you add
> the selective properties stuff to a resource URL you get another
> resource (different URL means different resource) that is related to
> the first, but that has subset of its properties.

As a client learns about more properties on a Resource, it can add those
properties to its local graph so it will always be the same resource (same
URI).  Would we need to create another node in the graph for this
selective resource? How would the subset resource be linked to the full
resource in this graph?   Would seem you'd want to use a single URI
(rdf:about) and in the open model, additional properties could be added
(adding more triples).  I would not think we'd want different rdf:about
URLs for the same resource, even though one request returns a subset.

> I think this sentence could be improved:
>
> "OSLC services MAY support a technique called Selective Properties to
> enable clients to retrieve only selected property values."
>
> What if we said instead: "retrieve only the values of selected
properties"?

> Would that help?

Helps but it would probably be more accurate as "Partial Resource
Representation".  I'm not going to get hung up on it, if it makes sense to
others then consensus rules.

> Thanks,
> - Dave
>

> On Wed, Jul 21, 2010 at 3:50 PM, Steve K Speicher <sspeiche at us.ibm.com>
wrote:
> > See
> > http://open-services.net/bin/view/Main/
> OSLCCoreSpecDRAFT#Selective_Property_Values
> >
> > I wonder if it would be better to refer to this as "Partial
Resources".
> > Using "Selective" and "Values" gives the impression that you can
filter
> > which properties are fetched based on their values.
> > The description after the title refers to it as "Selective
Properties".