[oslc-core] Discovery document hierarchy should be constant length per provider?

Steve K Speicher sspeiche at us.ibm.com
Tue Jul 13 09:31:13 EDT 2010

> From: Dave <snoopdave at gmail.com>
> To: oslc-core <oslc-core at open-services.net>
> Date: 07/12/2010 03:34 PM
> Subject: Re: [oslc-core] Discovery document hierarchy should be
> constant length per provider?
> Sent by: oslc-core-bounces at open-services.net

...snip...
> I wonder...
>
> Is the issue of "how does a client programmatically determine which
> creation factory to use to create or query for a given type" still
> open? We have given creation factories, query capabilities and dialogs
> "type" and "usage" properties, but don't clients still have to
> navigate a hierarchy of possibly nested services to get to those? How
> does a client know which nested  service to use?

I would expect the oslc:domain property of oslc:ServiceProviderCatalog and
oslc:Service would assist a client to determine if it fetches the item
what it should expect(which domain spec it supports).
Perhaps it would be good to add oslc:domain property to
oslc:ServiceProvider resource definition, so a client would know what
domain that service provider comes from.