[oslc-core] Meeting notes and using rdf:RDF as root element

Arthur Ryman ryman at ca.ibm.com
Thu Jul 8 15:45:51 EDT 2010

Steve,

I am not referring to the use of <rdf:RDF> element since that is a part of
RDF/XML. I am referring to the exclusion of those features of RDF/XML that
are not part of the OSLC subset. The OSLC subset and generation rules
result in RDF/XML documents that are a subset of all possible valid
RDF/XML documents. There is no guarantee that when I serialize an RDF
graph using some toolkit that the result will fall within the subset
defined by OSLC.

For example, the document might contain multiple <rdf:Description>
elements for the subject nodes instead of "inlining" the triples under
some main subject node, or a subject node might not use the expected
rdf:type abbreviation if it had multiple types. There are other features,
such as rdf:parseType="Resource" and rdf:parseType="Collection" that are
not in the OSLC subset, but that might get generated. Those are simply
abbreviations that produce more compact and readable documents, but that
are not in the OSLC subset. A serializer could generate them.

On a related thought, consider the issue of "enforcing" conformance to the
OSLC subset.

Currently, the OSLC subset is described implicitly, i.e. as the result of
applying the representation rules. This means there is no programmatic way
to check conformance of an RDF/XML document with the OSLC rules. However,
I don't think it would be a good use of our time to create an OSLC
validator. We don't want to enshrine this subset since it's very likely to
change (and probably coincide with RDF/XML eventually).

Here's a real-world example. Today I reviewed a design for calendar
events, based on the RDF representation of the iCal standard. Here's a
sample RDF/XML representation:

        xmlns:jc="http://jazz.net/xmlns/prod/jazz/calendar#" xmlns="
http://www.w3.org/2002/12/cal/icaltzd#"
        xmlns:foaf="http://xmlns.com/foaf/0.1/">
        <VCalendar>
                <jc:calendar_owner rdf:parseType="Resource">
                        <foaf:mbox rdf:resource="mailto:user at local.net" />
                        <foaf:nick>user</foaf:nick>
                </jc:calendar_owner>
                <component>
                        <Vevent>
                                <jc:ownerResource rdf:parseType="Resource"

                                        <foaf:nick>user</foaf:nick>
                                </jc:ownerResource>
                                <dtstart rdf:datatype="
http://www.w3.org/2002/12/cal/icaltzd#dateTime">2010-01-01T09:00:00Z</
dtstart>
                                <dtend rdf:datatype="
http://www.w3.org/2002/12/cal/icaltzd#dateTime">2010-03-31T18:00:00Z</
dtend>
                                <transp>TRANSPARENT</transp>
                                <rrule rdf:parseType="Resource">
                                        <freq>WEEKLY</freq>
                                        <byday>MO,TU,WE,TH,FR</byday>
                                </rrule>
                        </Vevent>
                </component>
        </VCalendar>
</rdf:RDF>

This is valid RDF/XML. It uses standards like iCal and FOAF. However, it
is invalid wrt to OSLC subset. Note the use of rdf:parseType="Resource".
Also note the use of the iCal dateTime datatype, which is not on the
approved list of datatypes.  I don't think it's a good use of anyone's
time to try to hammer this into a shape that matches the OSCL subset. I'd
rather just focus on the data and interface. If we supported full RDF/XML
I wouldn't need to spend time on the syntactic details.

Arthur Ryman, PhD, DE

Chief Architect, Project and Portfolio Management

IBM Software, Rational

Markham, ON, Canada | Office: 905-413-3077, Cell: 416-939-5063
Twitter | Facebook | YouTube