[oslc-core] Meeting notes and using rdf:RDF as root element

Arthur Ryman ryman at ca.ibm.com
Tue Jul 6 19:19:49 EDT 2010

Dave,

I think we need to seriously re-examine our goals for defining a
"simplified" subset of RDF/XML for OSLC specs. The latest change to using
<rdf:RDF> as the document root now invalidates one of the original goals
of making the content look like "normal" XML. Now it is very clear that
the document is RDF/XML. Also, since we are using the content type
application/rdf+xml it seems wrong for OSLC to define restrictions on the
format.

The intended benefit for restricting the format was that it would allow
implementers to reuse their XML parsing skills and tools. However, we are
already using most of the RDF/XML syntax so writing an XML parser will
require work. The easiest way to process RDF/XML is to use one of the many
available RDF toolkits. These toolkits let you parse RDF documents into a
triples data structure, modify the data, and write it back out again.

Suppose as an implementer I want to use an RDF toolkit. Now I need to do
extra work to implement the OSLC subset. If I implement a service, am I
obligated to throw an exception if the incoming RDF does not conform to
the OSLC subset? If I don't then I am lulling the client into a false
sense of security since if they access a different service implementation,
it may be less forgiving. Furthermore, when I try to generate RDF using
the toolkit, it will not conform to the OSLC subset so I'll have to write
my own serializer. We are therefore in the paradoxical situation of
embracing RDF as our data model yet making life more difficult for
implementers that want to use RDF toolkits.

We started down the path of trying to make RDF look like "normal" XML in
2009. That was based on our perceived market adoption of RDF. I supported
that decision based on some negative customer reaction to RDF versus plain
old XML. However, during the past year there has been a dramatic increase
in the amount of RDF on the Web as part of the Linked Open Data movement.
There is a lot of adoption by the USA and UK governments. I think in 2010,
RDF is a much less risky technology.

The fact that we were led to using <rdf:RDF> as the root element, as well
as using several other features of RDF/XML (e.g. blank node ids), should
tell us that perhaps the features of RDF/XML are necessitated by the
nature of the RDF data model itself, and that as we learn more, we'll be
led to adopting more of RDF/XML syntax.  We can simplify the Core spec if
we simply adopt RDF/XML as a specified by W3C. This is in line with our
use of other RDF formats, such as Turtle.

One objection I heard was that RDF/XML would be hard to parse in a browser
using Javascript. That same objection applies to the OSLC subset of
RDF/XML. Our answer for the browser should be JSON, and by similar
reasoning to the above, we should understand why we are not simply
adopting one of the existing JSON encodings of RDF. e.g.from Talis. The
potential advantage is the availability of toolkits for that encoding.

Could you include this topic on the agenda of our next workgroup meeting?
Thx.

Arthur Ryman, PhD, DE

Chief Architect, Project and Portfolio Management

IBM Software, Rational

Markham, ON, Canada | Office: 905-413-3077, Cell: 416-939-5063
Twitter | Facebook | YouTube