[oslc-core] New OSLC ChangeLog Proposal

Olivier Berger olivier.berger at it-sudparis.eu
Thu Dec 23 09:41:48 EST 2010

Hi.

Le lundi 20 décembre 2010 à 10:45 -0500, Frank Budinsky a écrit :
> Hello,
>
> Nick Crossley and I would like to submit a proposal for adding a
> ChangeLog service to the OSLC core specification.

> The OSLC proposal, itself, is described in section 1.5 of the attached
> document, while the rest of the document describes an indexer
> prototype, including how it intends to use the change log.

I think this would be quite helpful to have such standard properties
providing history of changes on OSLC resources. As a matter of fact I've
asked for a similar thing recently on the -CM list : bugtrackers often
have a history record for changes on tickets, which your proposal could
help to address.

I'm not sure I can find a reference in what you propose, to recording
exactly which properties get updated, which may be valuable information.

I can imagine some changelog attributes that would record who did what
and when, and where the "what" could document which property was changed
and from which value / to which value.

Such feature may be helpful in algorithms trying to manage "merges"
between duplicate resources that evolved separately, by trying to rewind
and replay the changelog (think about git or other such distributed
management tools and how they work).

Maybe these could be optional properties only, some kind of "detailed
changelog".

I wouldn't be surprised of there might be some existing reusable models
outside OSLC for RDF resource history/changelog description, that may
apply quite well to OSLC resources. Some before + after reified
resources model of some kind. I'm not an expert in RDF though, to tell
better.

Hope this helps.

Best regards,
--