[oslc-core] oslc:totalSize Clarification

Dave snoopdave at gmail.com
Wed Dec 1 12:40:00 EST 2010

I will write up the various paging-related issues we've been
discussing, but I'd like to get this one on the table first.

Currently, we define a property of oslc:ResponseInfo named
oslc:totalSize, which has occurrence of zero-or-one. We define this
as: "Total number of results across all pages, its value should be
non-negative" and thus are not clear about what we are counting.

The consensus in the work-groups is that we meant to say something
like "total number of top-level resources returned across all pages"
or "total number of member property values returned across all pages"
and refer to the query spec for the definition of member property.
But, in today's meeting we forgot about the fact that oslc:totalSize
can be returned for not just query resource but also in "plain old"
resources and in such a plain old resource, seems to me, the only
thing oslc:totalSize could mean is total count of triples.

Perhaps, what we need to do is to cover both of these cases, something
like this:

oslc:totalSize - Total number of results across all pages, its value
should be non-negative. In the context of a query resource, this value
is the total number of member property values that match the query. In
the context of other resources, the value is the total number of
property values (i.e. RDF triples) of the resource.

Ideas?

Thanks,
Dave