[oslc-core] Provided guidance for adding relationship labels

Scott Bosworth bosworth at us.ibm.com
Tue Aug 31 17:24:41 EDT 2010

+1 on Ian's language. We are in fact defining a property of the link. That
property, the link label, could have nothing whatsoever to do with the
object resource. I still think its useful to also offer some
suggestions/common practices on how the value of the link label might be
seeded with information from the object resource, however if we can't do so
in a way that avoids the interpretation Jim found, then maybe we can drop
that language....Scott

Scott Bosworth | IBM Rational CTO Team | bosworth at us.ibm.com | 919.486.2197
(w) | 919.244.3387(m) | 919.254.5271(f)

oslc-core-bounces at open-services.net wrote on 08/31/2010 04:09:17 PM:

> From: Ian Green1 <ian.green at uk.ibm.com>
> To: oslc-core at open-services.net
> Date: 08/31/2010 04:09 PM
> Subject: Re: [oslc-core] Provided guidance for adding relationship labels
> Sent by: oslc-core-bounces at open-services.net
>
> My understanding of the intent is that this is a property *on the link*
> and is not cached data from the object resource.  The anchor label is a
> property of the link, and *could have nothing whatsoever* to to with the
> object resource.  Other properties on the link (a la AM spec. are also
> admitted, however only dcterms:title is the only link property whose
> meaning is defined by CM V2.0).
>
> I agree with Jim that the present wording leaves room for an
> interpretation along the lines of cached data and I think we should
strive
> to prevent this interpretation.  It is important that the label is on the

> link, and is not in any way necessarily describing the object resource.
> OSLC collaborators (consumers & providers) must not (i'd write MUST NOT
if
> I could) treat that link property as a description of the object
resource.

> Something along these lines is what I was imagining:
>
> Change Management relationships to other resources are represented as
> properties whose values are the URI of the object or target resource.
When
> a Change Management relationship property is to be presented in a user
> interface, it may be helpful to provide an informative and useful textual

> label for that relationship instance.  (This in addition to the
> relationship property URI and the object resource URI, which are also
> candidates for presentation to a user.) To this end, OSLC providers MAY
> suppport a dcterms:title link property in Change Management resource
> representations, using the anchor approach outlined in the OSLC Core
Links