[oslc-core] Question on oslc:Publisher

Steve K Speicher sspeiche at us.ibm.com
Fri Aug 27 13:32:40 EDT 2010

I tend to see it as a String.  I'm not sure where the reference to URN
came from.  Maybe it would be worth including some description to help
distinguish it from the resource's URI (which is how it should really be
identified).   As Dublin Core defines identifier as:
  "An unambiguous reference to the resource within a given context. "
and goes on to say:
  "Recommended best practice is to identify the resource by means of a
string conforming to a formal identification system. "

I see that it is within the realm of the specific service provider
instance to define what this value is.  For someone who is defining books,
it could be ISBN, if defining bugs it could be the bug #.  So I'd say
String is the best we can do and aligns with DC.

See http://dublincore.org/documents/dcmi-terms/#elements-identifier

Dave <snoopdave at gmail.com> wrote on 08/27/2010 01:17:05 PM:

> From: Dave <snoopdave at gmail.com>
> To: Ian Green1 <ian.green at uk.ibm.com>, Steve K
Speicher/Raleigh/IBM at IBMUS
> Cc: oslc-core at open-services.net
> Date: 08/27/2010 01:21 PM
> Subject: Re: [oslc-core] Question on oslc:Publisher
>
> Yes, this makes sense. If we mean URN, then value type should be
> Resource and not String.
>
> Steve: do we really want this to be a URN? If so, do you think the
> change is worth risking / inconveniencing ongoing implementations?
>
> Thanks,
> - Dave
>

> On Wed, Aug 25, 2010 at 6:17 PM, Ian Green1 <ian.green at uk.ibm.com>
wrote:

> > http://open-services.net/ns/core#Publisher
> >
> > requires a String valued dcterms:identifier.  Description states that
this
> > is a URN.  If it is to be a URN, then the value-type should be
Resource