[oslc-core] Discussion on vocabulary design

Steve K Speicher sspeiche at us.ibm.com
Thu Aug 26 16:55:35 EDT 2010

These are all good points, though the approach the CM working group took
was based on the scenarios we had in hand.  The "type-in-name" is not a
model where it is intended to implicitly define the range of possible
resource types but to distinguish itself from all other similar
relationships.  As you stated, if we took to the extreme we could simple
just use <dcterms:relation> and be done.  Though this doesn't say much
more than search for the subject resource for all predicates who have an
object who's type is a URI.

There is a penalty for a consumer to have to determine what the type of a
linked resource is in that it needs to make a network request for that
resource, it needs to parse and hope it gets type information.  By having
the meaning of the relationship articulated in its predicate, for example
affectsTestCase, a consumer clearly understands what that relationship
means without having to know anything about what is on the other end of
that URI.  We hope it is something meaningful.  So clients have to be
written to be robust enough to handle just about anything but we expect
the range of that relationship to be what we defined in the spec.

For CM, the scenarios really were about  traceability relationships for
simple reporting scenarios (a high performant data warehouse or cache
wasn't available).  I agree, if there are no scenarios to support a
predicate name that is long and restrictive, then it should not be used.