[oslc-core] Provided guidance for adding relationship labels

Ian Green1 ian.green at uk.ibm.com
Tue Aug 31 16:09:17 EDT 2010

My understanding of the intent is that this is a property *on the link*
and is not cached data from the object resource.  The anchor label is a
property of the link, and *could have nothing whatsoever* to to with the
object resource.  Other properties on the link (a la AM spec. are also
admitted, however only dcterms:title is the only link property whose
meaning is defined by CM V2.0).

I agree with Jim that the present wording leaves room for an
interpretation along the lines of cached data and I think we should strive
to prevent this interpretation.  It is important that the label is on the
link, and is not in any way necessarily describing the object resource.
OSLC collaborators (consumers & providers) must not (i'd write MUST NOT if
I could) treat that link property as a description of the object resource.

Something along these lines is what I was imagining:

Change Management relationships to other resources are represented as
properties whose values are the URI of the object or target resource. When
a Change Management relationship property is to be presented in a user
interface, it may be helpful to provide an informative and useful textual
label for that relationship instance.  (This in addition to the
relationship property URI and the object resource URI, which are also
candidates for presentation to a user.) To this end, OSLC providers MAY
suppport a dcterms:title link property in Change Management resource
representations, using the anchor approach outlined in the OSLC Core Links
Guidance.

I've removed the reference to UI Preview - UI Preview is for resources,
and these links are not resources.  If we bring link properties and UI
Preview together, I suggest that be done elsewhere in some form of
guidance. However, I would worry then that OSLC is straying too far into
UX/UI guidelines.

best wishes,
    -ian

ian.green at uk.ibm.com (Ian Green1/UK/IBM at IBMGB)
Chief Software Architect, Requirements Definition and Management
IBM Rational