[oslc-core] How do I get the shape from a resource?

Arthur Ryman ryman at ca.ibm.com
Mon Apr 26 11:56:50 EDT 2010

Steve,

The rdf:type should be the OSLC type defined by the appropriate domain
spec, e.g. CM. It belongs to the OSLC domain, http://open-services.net, so
GETing it would NOT reflect any new properties added by a service
provider.

I agree that it would be handy to be able to easily find the shape of a
resource. There are really two major use cases:

1. Schema-based information, e.g. to design a report. You need to find the
shape from the service provider. This is what oslc:shape is for.

2. Instance-based information, e.g. you are given the URL of an instance
resource and you want to find its shape, e.g. to modify the instance via
PUT. There is no property defined yet. Using oslc:shape might be
confusing. In XML Schema, they introduced a special namespace for instance
level information such as type, xsi:
http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance.

To avoid confusion I suggest we  use a different property, e.g.
oslc:instanceShape

Arthur Ryman, PhD, DE

Chief Architect, Project and Portfolio Management

IBM Software, Rational

Markham, ON, Canada | Office: 905-413-3077, Cell: 416-939-5063
Twitter | Facebook | YouTube