[oslc-core] Core and Domain Spec Versioning String

Dave snoopdave at gmail.com
Tue Apr 20 18:40:34 EDT 2010

On Tue, Apr 20, 2010 at 4:22 PM, Scott Bosworth <bosworth at us.ibm.com> wrote:
> Question. In reading the core spec discussion on use of the
> oslc-core-version header, I wondered what the use case is that requires a
> core version string at all? Assuming that clients deal with domain specified
> services and resources, could it be the case that the only relevant version
> for a service consumer is the domain spec version?

I started with the assumption that we would need an OSLC Core Version
string and then somebody suggested that we also need OSLC Domain spec
version strings too. Now I'm starting to think that I got things off
on the wrong foot here.

Isn't having both an OSLC Core Version string and domain version
strings redundant? One should be able to determine the OSLC Core Spec
version given an OSLC domain version string.

The Core spec should define how to offer a version string and how to
behave in relation to that version string, but should not define a
version string itself. Anybody see any problems with that approach?

Thanks,
- Dave