[oslc-core] rich text fields

Arthur Ryman ryman at ca.ibm.com
Mon Apr 12 18:54:35 EDT 2010

Scott,

That's a valid question. Here's the counter-argument.

The motive for allowing formatting in titles comes from several sources:
1. In Requirements, formatting often has significance, i.e. an
organization may have standards for formatting words with colors or styles
(maybe RED for critical).
2. In scientific and engineering domains, linear text is often not
adequate. Some terms have superscripts or subscripts.
3. National language may need to be indicated. This can be done using the
xml:lang attribute.

The dc:title property will be used in many ways, so we shouldn't take a
least common denominator approach. Web pages can certainly display the
formatting in tables, paragraphs, headings, etc.. When the title needs to
be put in a plain text widget, then the formatting can be removed, i.e.
just take the text content (which is what most text indexers would do).

Even if we restricted dc:title to plain text, putting it in widgets might
require making some modifications to it, e.g. if the content is very long
we'd have to truncate or abbreviate it. That wouldn't cause us to impose a
length limit. (would it?)

Given that rich text has utility, and that turning rich text into plain
text is fairly easy, I think we should allow valid XHTML <span> content in
dc:title.

Arthur Ryman, PhD, DE

Chief Architect, Project and Portfolio Management

IBM Software, Rational

Markham, ON, Canada | Office: 905-413-3077, Cell: 416-939-5063
Twitter | Facebook | YouTube