[oslc-core] Specification Versioning

Steve K Speicher sspeiche at us.ibm.com
Sun Apr 11 21:51:16 EDT 2010

In reading the section:
http://open-services.net/bin/view/Main/OSLCCoreSpecDRAFT#Specification_Versioning
I have a few questions.

1. Is it intended that domain specifications will add their own similar
header?  For example, OSLC-CM-Version: 2.0

I might suggest that we instead use a common header, such as
'OSLC-Version:' and then allow comma-separated list of strings: core-1.0,
cm-2.0, ....

2. What should the value of this header be for the core 1.0, simply "1.0",
if so the spec should state that?

3. For the statement: "If the OSLC-Core-Version header is present and
indicates a specification version that the service can support, then the
service MUST return a representation that is complies with the specified
version. "
This assumes that the service will return the same version string it
received with the request.  Should we give guidance to a client on what to
do when it gets a different version that it requested?  I would suggest
that we give guidance that this not be treated as an error (or even a
warning), stating instead that a client should process it as if it was the
version it had requested (or understands).
I could see there being a common problem that services will simply
hard-code their return values for the response headers, though do the
right thing on handling the request headers.