[oslc-core] olsc properties - "integer" value-type?

Arthur Ryman ryman at ca.ibm.com
Thu Apr 8 14:45:52 EDT 2010

James,

I agree in principle, however there are a lot of XSD datatypes and they
are sometimes merely variants of each other, e.g. is the value
"42"^^xsd:int really the same concept as "42"^^xsd:integer or
"42"^^xsd:positiveInteger? They all map to the same element of the numeric
value space. How does this affect comparisons in queries? I think we'd
have to write queries that pulled out the untyped part to do comparisons,
e.g. in SPARQL using the STR function.

1. RDF distinguishes plain literals from typed literals. Plain literal are
simple character strings, whereas typed literals have the ^^<datatype>
suffix. Technically, we should then use the rdf:datatype attribute in all
property elements that have typed literal values. We haven't given any
OSLC guidance on when to use typed literals versus plain literals. If we
use typed literals and all the XSD datatypes, this makes writing queries
more complex since we have to get the datatypes right too.

2. Not all XSD datatypes are suitable for use in RDF, e.g. xsd:QName. The
set of suitable datatypes is given in [1]

3. For URI literals, we should use xsd:anyURI unless there is a subtle
distinction, not invent the new URI
http://open-service.net/xmlns/oslc-core/literal-types#URI

4. For XML literals we should use rdf:XMLLiteral, not invent a new URI
http://open-service.net/xmlns/oslc-core/literal-types#XMLLiteral

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/rdf-mt/#DTYPEINTERP

Arthur Ryman, PhD, DE

Chief Architect, Project and Portfolio Management

IBM Software, Rational

Markham, ON, Canada | Office: 905-413-3077, Cell: 416-939-5063
Twitter | Facebook | YouTube