[oslc-core] Suggest renaming "Multi-language String" to "National Language String"

Arthur Ryman ryman at ca.ibm.com
Mon Apr 19 14:06:54 EDT 2010

The core spec recently introduced the term "Multi-language String " for
literal value types that contain plain text in some language. This term is
somewhat misleading since each string only contains one language. Of
course, there may be multiple occurrences of any property that has this
type.

Within the industry, the term "National Language" is used to describe text
from some language. The term "National Language Support" (NLS) is widely
used. I therefore suggest we use the term "National Language String" for
plain text that is in some language.

The core spec should also say that these values are plain literals that
have language tags, e.g. "Bonjour"@fr, in RDF.

Arthur Ryman, PhD, DE

Chief Architect, Project and Portfolio Management

IBM Software, Rational

Markham, ON, Canada | Office: 905-413-3077, Cell: 416-939-5063
Twitter | Facebook | YouTube