[oslc-core] Optional Language Tags in Query Syntax?

Arthur Ryman ryman at ca.ibm.com
Wed Apr 14 12:15:55 EDT 2010

Given the recent discussion on multiple translations of property values, I
suggest we consider optional language tags, e.g. "Bonjour"@fr, on plain
literal values. This is also consistent with the recent change we made
allowing optional datatypes on literals, e.g. "2010-04-14"^^xsd:dateTime

The benefit of allowing optional language tags is that a queries could
find values that were explicity tagged. Otherwise we'd have to make up a
rule, like the query would ignore the language tag of the actual value.

This may be a slippery slope, but if we wanted to allow a match on any
text with a given language tag, we could use a wildcard syntax like *@fr,
or *@* for any any text with any tag.

Arthur Ryman, PhD, DE

Chief Architect, Project and Portfolio Management

IBM Software, Rational

Markham, ON, Canada | Office: 905-413-3077, Cell: 416-939-5063
Twitter | Facebook | YouTube