[Oslc-communications] Site Data Retention and Migration

Brian King brian.king at koneksys.com
Fri May 5 11:18:29 EDT 2017

Hi Comms People,

In terms of moving from the current site to a new one...

I am aware of the need to retain the site namespaces and vocabularies / shapes, and am chatting to Jim Amsden and other about this. More at:
http://open-services.net/wiki/core/Vocabulary-index/

However, I have a question about other types of data on the site. I have found these categories, but there may be more.

Please have a look through them and if you have any insights on the questions I have please let me know. In particular I am interested in what types of data (not page-by-page or post-by-post) need to be carried over to the new site, and which not. Migrating some types of data brings as yet unknown complexity to the project. For example, carrying over user profiles and forum posts will be difficult. My preference would be to start fresh and ask people to sign up again. Perhaps we could do something like just provide a read-only archive of old posts. Wiki data is probably more portable, but we could lose history and other aspects of the data.

1. Static pages
For these, we can just audit them and decide which ones we need to pull over to the new site and which can be discarded.

2. Resources
https://open-services.net/resources/
I imagine a lot of this has to stay, and needs to be surfaced up in a compelling way. Some have special needs, e.g. tutorials with special navigation … I will try to work through these section by section and build that into the requirements of the new platform.

3. Wiki pages
http://open-services.net/wiki/
Do we need to migrate wiki pages?

4. Forum Posts
http://open-services.net/forums/
Do we need to migrate forum posts?

5. User profiles (part of forum system)
E.g. http://open-services.net/forums/member/85/
Do we need to carry these over or can we start fresh?
Carry over might be impossible unless we use the same auth and forums system, which is unlikely.

6. News
http://open-services.net/blog/
Do we need to carry these over or can we start fresh?

7. Mixed Content
Some pages look like they have mixed content, meaning some static and some dynamic data, e.g. workgroup pages
http://open-services.net/workgroups/communications/
This seems to be a feature of the software and while nice we may have to sacrifice it with the new platform, at least at the start.

Thanks,
Brian