[oslc-cm] [Oslc-Automation] Some comments on Actions spec (most from CM perspective)

John Arwe johnarwe at us.ibm.com
Thu Jan 30 08:40:16 EST 2014

> Comment on section [2]
> I'm not sure why the domain specific types are here.  Seems like
> something that would be in CM spec.  In fact, we probably wouldn't
> define a oslc:StateTransitionAction but instead just call it
> oslc:Action.  Seems like the parent class is extraneous.  Clients
> will be looking for oslc_cm:targetState to determine which action to
pick.
> What value is there in having this separate type?

Personally, I've been dubious about oslc:StateTransitionAction for a while
but I've been letting the rest of it settle a bit before calling it out.
"Dubious" simply because all write requests... generic PUT, PATCH, POST,
etc but also all actions which a purist might argue act like POSTs (in
terms of their effect) with some hypermedia decoration for client
discovery... are/might be state transition requests.  It's so general that
I am and have been unclear what it adds beyond oslc:Action; it is entirely
possible that such a difference exists and simply has not been articulated
such that I can grasp it, but that's my current state.

Turning it around: if I have some action Foo that I want to expose, I
would hope that the type definition would tell me whether or not I should
be using oslc:StateTransitionAction amongst the types.  If, in effect, all
actions are of types oslc:StateTransitionAction and oslc:Action, that's
evidence that they're redundant.  If we find a scenario where clients
cannot run the scenario without oslc:StateTransitionAction (which is
different than saying it Can be used), that would be evidence that it's
really needed and might lead to a description that distinguishes it from
:Action.