[oslc-cm] [Oslc-Automation] Some comments on Actions spec (most from CM perspective)

Steve K Speicher sspeiche at us.ibm.com
Thu Jan 30 08:31:27 EST 2014

A few items below...

Thanks,
Steve Speicher
IBM Rational Software
OSLC - Lifecycle integration inspired by the web ->
http://open-services.net

Martin P Pain <martinpain at uk.ibm.com> wrote on 01/30/2014 05:57:17 AM:

> From: Martin P Pain <martinpain at uk.ibm.com>
> To: Steve K Speicher/Raleigh/IBM at IBMUS
> Cc: oslc-automation at open-services.net, "Oslc-Automation"
<oslc-automation-
> bounces at open-services.net>, oslc-cm at open-services.net
> Date: 01/30/2014 05:57 AM
> Subject: Re: [Oslc-Automation] Some comments on Actions spec (most from
CM
> perspective)
>
> What you call the "domain specific types" were an attempt to find things

> from the domain-driven requirements that might be useful across domains
or
> in the general case. However, as the oslc_cm:targetState property has to
be
> OSLC CM-specific (as it implicitly refers to the oslc_cm:state property)
> guess there's no use in including the oslc:StateTransitionAction type in

> core, if we have it at all.
>
> As for the usefulness of having that type at all, the intention was
having a
> single place to look to determine the type of actions - the rdf:type
values.
> But if you've got another way of identifying them (the
oslc_cm:targetState
> property) then I guess that's enough.

I guess one could say there are many types of resources, not just CM, that
have 'state' and there could be a case for oslc:state + oslc:targetState
(noticed I picked the core namespace).  Though part of me says "it is just
a namespace" and if defined properly, people could just reuse from CM.  I
haven't heard enough people asking for this from various domains but in
practice I have seen many tools support something like this.

> A couple of points on your examples:
> 1. The resource shape interaction pattern [4] says the name of the
predicate
> pointing to the resource shape is oslc:requestBodyParameters (although
in
> recent discussion I've suggested using http:body, as it is being used to

> construct the body).
Right, I just copied an old CM example and didn't change it.

> 2. The profile you mentioned invokes the "Standard restrictions on
http:Request
> resources for simple specification profiles" from appendix A [5], which
> includes "the providers MUST... provide at least one binding that...
> specifies "1.1" as the value of the http:httpVersion property." (This is
> allow us to specify HTTP 2 [6] in the future, in a way that lets older,
pre-
> HTTP 2 consumers know that HTTP 1.1 is not supported). Your example is
> missing this property.

Is POST in HTTP 2.0 really going to be incompatible? I assume this
property is multi-valued, if my provider can handle 1.1 or 2.0.

> 3. oslc:request is now called oslc:binding.

I just used the examples from Appendix B as a guideline, that is where I
picked up oslc:request [1].

[1] -
http://open-services.net/wiki/core/Exposing-arbitrary-actions-on-RDF-resources/#Appendix-B.3A-Examples

http://open-services.net/wiki/automation/AutomationMeetings20140123/#Minutes

> [2] -
http://open-services.net/wiki/core/Exposing-arbitrary-actions-on-RDF-
> resources/#Resources.3A-Action-types
> [3] -
http://open-services.net/wiki/core/Exposing-arbitrary-actions-on-RDF-
> resources/#profile_POST_resource_shape
>
> Thanks,
> Steve Speicher
> IBM Rational Software
> OSLC - Lifecycle integration inspired by the web ->
http://open-services.net

> Unless stated otherwise above:
3AU