[oslc-cm] [Oslc-Automation] Some comments on Actions spec (most from CM perspective)

Martin P Pain martinpain at uk.ibm.com
Thu Feb 27 11:49:20 EST 2014

Looking back through the thread history, my final thoughts were in this
email:
http://open-services.net/pipermail/oslc-automation_open-services.net/2014-January/000644.html

In that email (modified by John's reply) I say that, if we use
oslc_auto:desiredState (for the sake of reuse) and change its type
description to be:

    The intended (domain- or provider-dependant) value of a
    resource's (domain-dependant) 'state' property after some (future,
    present or past) process, transition or change. It is expected
    that this will be a resource reference to a definition of a valid
    state on the service provider.   For example, in the OSLC
    Automation domain this is used to indicate the desired state of
    the Automation Request based on values defined in the OSLC
    Automation specification and, optionally, by the service provider.

then "we would have purpose for oslc:StateTransitionAction (as it
defines the state-machine type of actions)".

What I meant is that oslc_auto:desiredAction could be used to indicate the
state transition that could be a side-effect of some other process, but
the rdf:type value oslc:StateTransitionAction indicates that it is only
about changing the state, or that the target state defines _everything_
that the action does, not that state change is merely a side-effect.

e.g. the difference between these two actions:

<1>
  # other properties would go here
  oslc:action [
    a oslc:StateTransitionAction, oslc:Action ;
    oslc_auto:desiredState x:Suspended ;
    dcterms:title "Suspend work on this item" ;
    # bindings would go here
  ]
  oslc:action [
    a reporting:FlagAsInappropriateAction, oslc:Action ;
    oslc_auto:desiredState x:Suspended ;
    dcterms:title "Flag as inappropriate" ;
    # bindings would go here
  ]
.

The former is explicitly about moving the outer resource (e.g. a work
item) to a "suspended" state. The second has another effect (kicking off
some investigation process into the appropriateness of whatever the
resource represents) but also has a side effect of changing the state to
"suspended" (e.g. it executes the first action as part of its own
execution).

However, I accept that the desiredState property on the latter action
doesn't have much use, because as a client you probably don't care, you
just care about the action type.

I'm not overly opposed to removing oslc:StateTransitionAction, but I just
wanted to clarify where I got to on that thread.

Steve, any changes on your position from this email? If not, don't worry
about going in to detail.

If Steve doesn't reply with any changes, does anyone want to second his
proposal? As long as this email has been taken into account, I won't
object.

Martin Pain
Software Developer - Green Hat
Rational Test Virtualization Server, Rational Test Control Panel
Open Services for Lifecycle Collaboration - Automation WG joint chair

E-mail: martinpain at uk.ibm.com
Find me on:  and within IBM on:

IBM United Kingdom Limited

"Oslc-Automation" <oslc-automation-bounces at open-services.net> wrote on
27/02/2014 16:20:39:

> From: Steve K Speicher <sspeiche at us.ibm.com>
> To: oslc-automation at open-services.net,
> Cc: oslc-cm at open-services.net
> Date: 27/02/2014 16:22
> Subject: Re: [Oslc-Automation] [oslc-cm] Some comments on Actions
> spec (most from CM perspective)
> Sent by: "Oslc-Automation" <oslc-automation-bounces at open-services.net>
>
> > From: John Arwe/Poughkeepsie/IBM at IBMUS
> > To: oslc-automation at open-services.net
> > Cc: oslc-cm at open-services.net
> > Date: 02/26/2014 11:33 AM
> > Subject: Re: [oslc-cm] [Oslc-Automation] Some comments on Actions spec
(most
> > from CM perspective)
> > Sent by: "Oslc-Cm" <oslc-cm-bounces at open-services.net>
> >
> > > Comment on section [2]
> > > I'm not sure why the domain specific types are here.  Seems like
> > > something that would be in CM spec.  In fact, we probably wouldn't
> > > define a oslc:StateTransitionAction but instead just call it
> > > oslc:Action.  Seems like the parent class is extraneous.  Clients
> > > will be looking for oslc_cm:targetState to determine which
> action to pick.
> > > What value is there in having this separate type?
> >
> > Personally, I've been dubious about oslc:StateTransitionAction for a
while
> > but I've been letting the rest of it settle a bit before calling it
out.
> > "Dubious" simply because all write requests... generic PUT,
PATCH,POST, etc
> > but also all actions which a purist might argue act like POSTs
(interms of
> > their effect) with some hypermedia decoration for client discovery...
are/

http://open-services.net