[oslc-cm] Providing additional types of "change request"-like resources

Steve K Speicher sspeiche at us.ibm.com
Thu Feb 21 13:52:03 EST 2013

Thanks Paul,

Some responses inlined...

Paul McMahan/Raleigh/IBM wrote on 02/08/2013 01:29:47 PM:

> From: Paul McMahan/Raleigh/IBM
> To: Steve K Speicher/Raleigh/IBM at IBMUS
> Cc: oslc-cm at open-services.net
> Date: 02/08/2013 02:00 PM
> Subject: Re: [oslc-cm] Providing additional types of "change
request"-like resources

> QualityManagementTask is a change request for creating or updating a
test
> artifact, often in response to a change in some other artifact such as a

> requirement or plan item.   QualityManagementTasks are also used to
track
> the setup and preparation of test environments.  This often involves
> procurement and installation of hardware/software, creating data pools,
> creating virtualized services, provisioning test images in the cloud,
etc.
> Think of QualityManagementTask as a ChangeRequest of special interest to

> quality management processes.   Much like the RequirementsChangeRequest
> mentioned in your proposal could be seen as a ChangeRequest of special
> interest to requirements management processes.

Perhaps we can look at a couple of other questions here:

1. What scenarios need to look at the type of resource to know it is
specifically a QMTask to do things differently?

2. What additional properties would a QMTask have from a generic Task?

> ReviewTask is a request to review or approve an artifact, typically
> resulting in its status being changed to 'reviewed', 'approved',
'rejected',
> etc.   The review process/workflow can often span across multiple OSLC
> domains.   For example the review process for a test artifact can also
> involve the review process for the requirements or plan items linked to
it.
> Think of ReviewTask as a ChangeRequest that helps track the people and
> processes involved in preparing a lifecycle artifact for use.

We do have a number of scenarios that call our for a "Review" type of
resource.  Perhaps we (speaking with my CM hat on) can define what we need
and socialize it to more (Core, RM, QM, etc) who may have a need for this
review.  Also, approvals are a close cousin of review....do you see this
as well?

http://open-services.net

<oslc-cm-bounces at open-services.net>
> > Date: 11/29/2012 02:15 PM
> > Subject: Re: [oslc-cm] Providing additional types of "change
request"-likeresources

> > +1,  I would also like to suggest QualityManagementTask and ReviewTask
as well.

> > Best wishes,
> > Paul McMahan
> > IBM Rational
> >
> > "Oslc-Cm" <oslc-cm-bounces at open-services.net> wrote on 11/29/2012
01:48:16 PM:

> > > From: Steve K Speicher/Raleigh/IBM at IBMUS
> > > To: oslc-cm at open-services.net
> > > Date: 11/29/2012 01:48 PM
> > > Subject: [oslc-cm] Providing additional types of "change request"-
> > > like resources
> > > Sent by: "Oslc-Cm" <oslc-cm-bounces at open-services.net>
> > >
> > > Currently, the CM 2.0 defines only 1 rdf:type of resource and we all
know
> > > and love that as oslc_cm:ChangeRequest.
> > >
> > > There are many other "kinds" of change requests, today we help guide
some
> > > scenarios that are looking for these kinds of resources by using
> > > oslc:usage with some known values [1],[2].
> > >
> > > Not having these usage identifiers be rdf:types has always been a
little
> > > odd, for a number of reasons:
> > > - Typical way of querying and inferring the type of resource relied
on
> > > non-standard ways
> > > - Associating dialogs, factories, queries without these type is a
bit off.

> > > We've already proven the need for these usage/type things.  So the
names
> > > (ids) and concepts are still valid.
> > >
> > > My proposal:
> > >         In 3.0, introduce these as additional subtypes
(rdfs:subClassOf
> > > oslc_cm:ChangeRequest) as first class OSLC-CM resource types:
Defect,

http://open-services.net/bin/view/Main/CmSpecificationV2#Usage_Identifiers