[oslc-cm] Providing additional types of "change request"-like resources

Paul McMahan pmcmahan at us.ibm.com
Fri Feb 8 13:29:47 EST 2013

QualityManagementTask is a change request for creating or updating a test
artifact, often in response to a change in some other artifact such as a
requirement or plan item.   QualityManagementTasks are also used to track
the setup and preparation of test environments.  This often involves
procurement and installation of hardware/software, creating data pools,
creating virtualized services, provisioning test images in the cloud, etc.
Think of QualityManagementTask as a ChangeRequest of special interest to
quality management processes.   Much like the RequirementsChangeRequest
mentioned in your proposal could be seen as a ChangeRequest of special
interest to requirements management processes.

ReviewTask is a request to review or approve an artifact, typically
resulting in its status being changed to 'reviewed', 'approved',
'rejected', etc.   The review process/workflow can often span across
multiple OSLC domains.   For example the review process for a test artifact
can also involve the review process for the requirements or plan items
linked to it.   Think of ReviewTask as a ChangeRequest that helps track the
people and processes involved in preparing a lifecycle artifact for use.

Maybe including the "Task" suffix in the names of these proposed new
subtypes is misleading, since I agree it leaves you with an impression that
they are just specializations of Task.   But I think that these subtypes
are at least as distinct as the other proposed subtypes (Defect, PlanItem,
RequirementChangeRequest).   So maybe different names would help -
QualityManagementChangeRequest and ReviewRequest ?

Best wishes,
Paul McMahan
IBM Rational