[oslc-cm] Concern on property names with both purpose and embedded resource type information

Steve K Speicher sspeiche at us.ibm.com
Thu Nov 15 10:48:44 EST 2012

In CM 2.0 there are a number of property names that include both the
meaning of the property (implements) and the expected type of the
target/object (Requirement), you we have things like
oslc_cm:implementsRequirement [1].  This has provided some usefulness in
being able to know from a client perspective what to expect.  This has
also limited what a client thinks it can put or expect as the target of
that link.  What had motivated the previous design may not be best
practice anymore.  So I'd like to use this email to make people aware of
this topic and gather some feedback.  Also I'd like to discuss strategies
to introduce new predicates, such as oslc_cm:implements and how to
potentially phase out or deprecate things like
oslc_cm:implementsRequirement  Another example of simplification would be
to replace all oslc_cm:related* with dcterms:relation.  We can produce
some guidance and explain how tools can efficiently know what type of
resource is the target of the link without having to encode into the
property name.

This is not a 2.0 issue, suggesting this as a topic for how we evolve the
vocabulary in 3.0.  I've heard this issue from a number of adopters who
needed to invent new properties that were "like" currently defined ones,
it would be good if they weighed in as well.

[1] -
http://open-services.net/bin/view/Main/CmSpecificationV2#Resource_ChangeRequest

Thanks,
Steve Speicher
IBM Rational Software
OSLC - Lifecycle integration inspired by the web ->
http://open-services.net