[oslc-cm] Over use and abuse of oslc_cm:ChangeRequest

Steve K Speicher sspeiche at us.ibm.com
Thu Jun 21 12:07:44 EDT 2012

I knew of this potential drawback but it was brought to my attention
earlier today, the over use and broad definition of oslc_cm:ChangeRequest
for any and all types of things change request like.  We quickly run to
the spec to see what it leaves open and what it restricts, which honestly
isn't much.  The origins were always to start small and simple, hoping
implementations won't abuse what resources are labeled as
oslc_cm:ChangeRequest, but it appears some additional guidance may be
needed.

This leads me to put a request to the WG for feedback on a number of
points:
1. What issues do you see with the vagueness of the current scope and
definition of the class of resources called "change requests"?

2. What class of things do you classify as "change requests"?  For
example: enhancement request, defect fix request, etc

3. How do you now advertise what sub-class of oslc_cm:ChangeRequests a
resource is?

4. How would you see this playing out to advertise a sub-class of
oslc_cm:ChangeRequest?
I'll partially answer this to seed (and influence) the discussion:  we
should define a new resource type, such as oslc_cm:Defect and
oslc_cm:Enhancement