[oslc-cm] Best approach for mapping priority/severity/action to&from server defined and custom values (URIs)

Dave Steinberg davidms at ca.ibm.com
Wed Jul 4 11:31:49 EDT 2012

Hi Steve,

Apologies for being very slow to see and respond to this. I've been very
busy with other product focuses, leaving much less time and attention for
OSLC than I would like.

As I recall, my issue with option #2 was the implication that a particular
OSLC-defined priority or severity value is actually a class, itself. From
the RDF Schema spec (http://www.w3.org/TR/rdf-schema/#ch_type):

   A triple of the form:
       R rdf:type C

   states that C is an instance of rdfs:Class and R is an instance of C.

And from the RDF Primer (http://www.w3.org/TR/rdf-primer/#schemaclasses):

   A class in RDF Schema corresponds to the generic concept of a Type or
   Category, somewhat like the notion of a class in object-oriented
   programming languages such as Java. RDF classes can be used to represent
   almost any category of thing, such as Web pages, people, document types,
   databases or abstract concepts.

Conceptually, I just cannot see "OSLC high severity," for example, as a
type or category, rather than an instance.

Cheers,
Dave

--
Dave Steinberg