[oslc-cm] Fw: [oslc] Trial for Specification development focused tools (Feedback requested by Jan 27th on OSLC forums)

Samuel Padgett spadgett at us.ibm.com
Thu Jan 26 16:05:08 EST 2012

Steve and I talked, and we both feel the CM working group is a good
candidate for a W3C Community Group trial. How does the working group feel?
Is this a good idea? Any objections?
--
Best Regards,
Samuel Padgett | IBM Rational | spadgett at us.ibm.com

----- Forwarded by Samuel Padgett/Durham/IBM on 01/26/2012 03:54 PM -----

From:	Kartik Kanakasabesan/Durham/IBM at IBMUS
To:	community at open-services.net,
Date:	01/19/2012 08:16 AM
Subject:	[oslc] Trial for Specification development focused tools
            (Feedback requested by Jan 27th on OSLC forums)
Sent by:	community-bounces at open-services.net

Community Members,

As a community grows and evolves, its requirements for tools and
infrastructure likewise evolve. Because of the growing membership and
expanding interest in OSLC, it seems we are reaching the limits of our wiki
and mailing lists hosted at http://open-services.net.

Accordingly, we have been evaluating alternatives that will make it easier
for our members to meet, collaborate, communicate, and develop
specifications. We believe we have found a good match for our needs with
the tools available at W3C Community Groups (
http://www.w3.org/community/about/#cg). Every W3C Community Group receives
the following tools, each with professional support:
      A dedicated wiki
      Multiple mailing lists for the group
      Issue tracking
      A blog (with RSS)
      IRC tools to log meeting minutes
 and more. (For more details, see http://www.w3.org/community/about/tool/)

We propose a trial, where one OSLC workgroup will move their specification
development work to a W3C Community Group.

We believe that using W3C’s infrastructure, which is tailored to
collaborative specification development, will provide the following
benefits:
      Every workgroup will have track able action items and issues
      The W3C’s infrastructure is better designed to scale for many
      workgroups
      Work with a vendor neutral specification development infrastructure
      Workgroups can continue to operate as they were

If the trial goes well, other OSLC workgroups could also migrate to W3C’s
infrastructure; if not, the trial workgroup can return to
http://open-services.net and we can explore other options.

This is simply an experiment with a set of tools we believe to be better
for our workgroups. Using W3C Community Groups does not mean that OSLC is
endorsed by W3C. Likewise, W3C will not interfere with the day-to-day
operations of the OSLC workgroups. To participate in a W3C community group,
you do not have to be a member of W3C. To learn more about participation at
various venues at W3C, see
http://www.w3.org/Consortium/activities.html#about

Before we proceed with the trial, we would like to get your thoughts,
ideas, questions, or concerns on this experiment. We also welcome your
suggestions for which OSLC workgroup to trial. Please post them at the
following forum on the OSLC website:
http://open-services.net/forums/viewthread/29/
Thank you. We look forward to hearing your thoughts between now till Jan 27
th 5:00 pm EST.

Regards,
Kartik Kanakasabesan (OSLC Community Development)
Steve Speicher (Core and CM Workgroup lead)
Rainer Ersch (PLM Workgroup lead)
Michael Fiedler (Automation Workgroup Lead)