[oslc-cm] Issue with format of content when pre-filling delegated creation dialog UIs

Brian Steele steelebr at us.ibm.com
Mon Aug 20 16:11:28 EDT 2012

Hello,

In the OSLC-CM V2, there are three properties of a change request resource
whose description contains some variation of the following: "SHOULD
include only content that is valid inside an XHTML <div> element."  The
three properties are oslc:shortTitle, dcterms:description, and
dcterms:title.  I can understand what SHOULD means from an OSLC-CM
provider point of view when returning the resource as the result of a GET
or query.  What isn't clear to me is how this SHOULD statement is applied
to pre-filling delegated change request creation dialogs.  What happens in
the case where the content is not valid XHTML?  I think that non-XHTML
content should be supported since it doesn't say "MUST" in the spec but
I'd like to hear from others.

In my testing, I've found that Rational's tools are inconsistent in their
implementation of this on the provider side.  I'd like to get this
clarified in the spec so I can submit defects to get all of our tools
behaving consistently.

Regards,

Brian Steele
RM Architect & Dev Manager