[oslc-cm] [oslc-core] Proposed language / modifications to "Range" definition

Andrew J Berner ajberner at us.ibm.com
Tue Sep 28 09:21:19 EDT 2010

So I understand the purpose of not requiring the type.  At some point we
may consider whether the type has to support a particular "interface" so
that I can count on it "knowing" relevant information, but let's not go
there right now.

But we don't want to throw out the value of typing while allowing late
binding....If I do know the type (like "often the target resource is
another oslc_cm:ChangeRequest resource) then there is more that I can do
with it, since I have (in my imagination) written my client to use
information from such targets.  Can I find out in advance if it is, without
having to fetch it?  I may be "out of date"---it the type returned in a
header, so I can at worst have to make a cheap "HEAD" call instead of a
GET?  Is the type of the target inlined in the link? Unlike attributes of
the target that we should NOT be denormalizing, that wouldn't change,
right?

Andy Berner
Lead Architect, ISV Technical Enablement and Strategy
IBM Rational Business Development
972 561-6599
ajberner at us.ibm.com

Ready for IBM Rational software partner program -
http://www.ibm.com/isv/rational/readyfor.html

|------------>
| From:      |
|------------>
  |Steve K Speicher/Raleigh/IBM at IBMUS                                                                                                                |
|------------>
| To:        |
|------------>
  |Jim des Rivieres <Jim_des_Rivieres at ca.ibm.com>                                                                                                    |
|------------>
| Cc:        |
|------------>
  |oslc-cm at open-services.net, oslc-core at open-services.net                                                                                            |
|------------>
| Date:      |
|------------>
  |09/28/2010 07:59 AM                                                                                                                               |
|------------>
| Subject:   |
|------------>
  |Re: [oslc-core] Proposed language / modifications to "Range"      definition                                                                      |
|------------>
| Sent by:   |
  |oslc-core-bounces at open-services.net                                                                                                               |

Hi Jim,

You have good points, I may write it slightly different.  By indicating it
as "MAY" it implies that clients should be prepared to handle any kind of
resource.

target resource MAY be another oslc_cm:ChangeRequest resource.

Is this better?

Jim des Rivieres <Jim_des_Rivieres at ca.ibm.com> wrote on 09/24/2010
02:36:22 PM: