[oslc-cm] Proposed clarifying changes for Query Request XML format used

Steve K Speicher sspeiche at us.ibm.com
Thu Oct 14 11:37:06 EDT 2010

I got some feedback after a discussion with someone that this was still a
bit confusing.  Perhaps it would be best to be extremely explicit.  So
here's a new proposal:

For HTTP GET response formats for Query requests,

CM Providers MUST provide RDF/XML, XML, Atom Syndication Format XML and
JSON representations.

When CM Consumers request:
    * application/rdf+xml CM Providers MUST respond with RDF/XML
representation without restrictions.
    * application/json CM Providers MUST respond with JSON representation
as defined in the OSLC Core Representations Guidance.
    * application/xml CM Provider MUST respond with OSLC-defined
abbreviated XML representation as defined in the OSLC Core Representations
Guidance.
    * application/atom+xml CM Provider MUST respond with Atom Syndication
Format XML representation as defined in the OSLC Core Representations
Guidance.
       * The Atom Syndication Format XML representation SHOULD use RDF/XML
for the atom:content entries representing the resource representations.

    See Query Capabilities for additional information when Resource Shapes
affect representation

-----------------

I still need to work on a better name for " OSLC-defined abbreviated XML
representation", I'll work with Core WG on this.

Steve K Speicher/Raleigh/IBM wrote on 10/13/2010 03:54:31 PM:

> From: Steve K Speicher/Raleigh/IBM
> To: oslc-cm at open-services.net
> Date: 10/13/2010 03:54 PM
> Subject: Proposed clarifying changes for Query Request XML format used
>
> Per my action from today's WG meeting [1] to address an ambiguity in
using
> application/xml and query response representation.  I have included the
> changes inline for comment and here [2] for reference
>
> For HTTP GET response formats for Query requests,
>
>     * CM Providers MUST provide RDF/XML, XML, Atom Syndication Format
XML and
> JSON representations.
>     * The XML, Atom Syndication Format XML and JSON representations
SHOULD
> follow the guidelines outlined in the OSLC Core Representations
Guidance.
>     * The XML representation MUST be identified by using the
application/xml
> content type. This representation may not be the same as the Atom
Syndication

http://open-services.net/bin/view/Main/CmSpecificationV2#Resource_Formats