[oslc-cm] Addition of Resource defintions for oslc:Discussion and oslc:Comment

Steve K Speicher sspeiche at us.ibm.com
Fri May 21 16:00:20 EDT 2010

Per my action, I have updated
http://open-services.net/bin/view/Main/OSLCCoreSpecAppendixADRAFT#Common_Resource_definitions
to now include Discussion and Comment resource definitions, eliminating
them from CM 2.0 spec.  I have also added a common property
oslc:discussion.

One topic for discussion is comment creation.  I see some possible ways to
create Comments and associate them to a Discussion:
1) Expose a Comment creation factory from oslc:Service
2) Utilize either the Discussion resource URI or
3) expose a property on the Discussion resource say 'commentFactoryURI' ?

I think with option 1), it would be fairly inefficient to have to find the
factory URI for each resource via service discovery.  Though there is no
reason to prohibit this

I believe options 2) and 3) have desirable characteristics.  Is there any
issue of overloading the Discussion resource URI to be a creation factory
for Comment resources?
For the moment, the spec says 2).

Perhaps there is a 4th option, treat Comments as 'Local Inlined Resources'
and add/update via patch semantics.