[oslc-cm] foaf:Person vs sioc:User for dc:creator or oslc_cm:owner ?

Olivier Berger olivier.berger at it-sudparis.eu
Fri Mar 5 05:43:36 EST 2010

Hi.

I've had a look at
http://open-services.net/bin/view/Main/CmResourceDefinitionsV2 and it
seems that foaf:Person is preferred at the moment for describing
reporters/owners of CRs.

I'm not sure this is the best choice, and would propose to use sioc:User
instead.

When reading :
"General agreement on foaf:Person is enough as there are not too many
systems that have multiple accounts per user. Can be managed by having
separate person instances (exception, instead of the rule)"
I'm puzzled...

sioc:User is already there to manage the situation of several accounts
(sioc:Users) of the same physical person (foaf:Person).

Why chose the least suitable one when there's one more flexible ? ;)

Is this to avoid dependency on sioc and limit to foaf ?

foaf:Person seems well suited when dealing with real physical persons,
whereas sioc:User is more about accounts/aliases/nicks of potentially
anonymous personalities of these real people.

Also, when thinking about automation, I believe dc:creators couls be
robots/apps, where sioc:User may be preferred to foaf:Persons too ;)

In any case, sioc seems more actively maintained than foaf, IMHO, so it
may be preferred maybe.

Any comments ?

Best regards,

P.S.: I'm in the process of drafting a forge ontology :
https://forge.projet-coclico.org/plugins/mediawiki/wiki/wp2/index.php/Forge_Ontology_Proposal which should be interoperable with OSLC-CM, hence my recent investigatiosn of sioc vs foaf.
--
Olivier BERGER <olivier.berger at it-sudparis.eu>
Ingénieur Recherche - Dept INF