[OSLC-CM] Test suites / validation - Was: Re: [OSLC] OSLC Change Management Working Group Minutes January 20, 2010

Scott Bosworth bosworth at us.ibm.com
Fri Jan 22 10:46:05 EST 2010

Appreciate your comments Olivier. It would be good to get this discussion
going in the oslc-cm workgroup and then broaden it to include others
workgroup participants. I agree that the Mylyn work could play a role here,
as could the demo server work you've started up. Other implementers may
also have existing stuff to add to the mix?

Here's a quick list of questions that come to my mind:

 - What capabilities are desired?
    - consumer side test suite for testing provider implementations?
    - provider side test suite that provides the "right" responses for
testing consumer implementations?
    - resource format validators?
    - which oslc specs and versions? all?
    - hosted versions of the test suites?

 - How should they be created, maintained, available?
   - freely available?
   - open source, closed source?
   - contributors? how, who, when?
   - governing, keeping current?
   - venue for test suite code? downloads? hosted?
   - license?

Scott

Scott Bosworth | IBM Rational CTO Team | bosworth at us.ibm.com | 919.486.2197
(w) | 919.244.3387(m) | 919.254.5271(f)

|------------>
| From:      |
|------------>
  |Olivier Berger <olivier.berger at it-sudparis.eu>                                                                                                    |
|------------>
| To:        |
|------------>
  |Steve K Speicher/Raleigh/IBM at IBMUS                                                                                                                |
|------------>
| Cc:        |
|------------>
  |oslc-cm at open-services.net                                                                                                                         |
|------------>
| Date:      |
|------------>
  |01/22/2010 03:23 AM                                                                                                                               |
|------------>
| Subject:   |
|------------>
  |[OSLC-CM] Test suites / validation - Was: Re: [OSLC] OSLC Change Management Working Group Minutes January 20, 2010                                |

Hi.

Sorry for not attending the meeting... I'm much more able to use
asynchronous communication media.

Le mercredi 20 janvier 2010 à 16:30 -0500, Steve K Speicher a écrit :
>       * Request for taking about test suites and validation at future
>         meeting

I assume this was s/taking/talking/ ? (have corrected in the wiki) ;)

If so, we're very much interested (in order to test the Mantis
implementation).

I think it is important that a freely available test suite be available
on the consumer side, in order to help people interested in testing
their provider implementations.

It seems that Mylyn's internal libraries may allow providing such an
Open Source implementation, provided that these work out of Eclipse
(which seems to be the case more or less, since the first unit test
classes that are provided have helped us test this on the CLI).
Now, I can eventually see 2 concerns with these :
* dependency on too much Eclipse code (are there OSGi bundles with well
defined interfaces / services for this) ?
* license issues (Eclipse license) ?

Looking forward to your comments on this.

Just my 2 cents, and sorry if this is duplicate with things already
talked about ;)

Best regards,
--
Olivier BERGER <olivier.berger at it-sudparis.eu>