[OSLC-CM] OSLC 1.0 interface

Steve K Speicher sspeiche at us.ibm.com
Thu Jan 14 07:56:15 EST 2010

Hi Denis,

Thanks for the feedback.  OSLC CM 1.0 supports a loosely-couple delegated
approach to integration, providing "just enough" specification
capabilities to provide an integration experience.  Taking this approach,
we did not provide a schema story for the use cases you described.
Instead, we provided a way for CM providers to expose their Web UI
creation dialogs for delegated change request creation as well as a
factory for programmatic creation.  This way, a CM provider can expose and
enforce its own rules around creation of change requests.

For consumers of the 1.0 specification who need to know more details about
rules for creating change requests and understanding details of the
schema, have to depend on a method not defined in the specification.

There is still quite a bit of value in supporting the 1.0 spec in that you
have a consistent model for service discovery.  You can leverage Web UI
delegated dialogs where appropriate.  Once you have schema information,
you can consistently access the CM resources by using 1.0 features of:
creation, query, selective retrieval, selective updates, etc.

These use cases you identify are good input into future specification
efforts.   There are many complexities in exposing the schema, rules and
constraints that are needed to be satisfied by support some of the
advanced capabilities in today's CM providers.   I'm confident that this
WG can find a workable solution in a near future specification.

http://www.oracle.com/technology/tech/wireless/adf_mobile.html