[OSLC-CM] OSLC 1.0 interface

Denis Tyrell DENIS.TYRELL at oracle.com
Wed Jan 13 15:23:19 EST 2010

We're currently trying to create an OSLC CM 1.0 connector that will be able to connect to any 1.0 compliant CM provider.  We're encountering some issues that I'd like to bring up and see if there are solutions or if we're just doing things incorrectly.  If there are limitations currently, we want to make sure we talk about this in relation to the 2.0 spec.

1)  We know the list of OSLC 1.0 CM base properties from the spec.  There is no way to discover extended properties that a particular provider adds.  Parsing the XML for every namespace is too tedious because of the heirarchical nature of the XML.
Use case:  Priority is not part of the 1.0 spec but Rational Team Concert has this field and exposes it in their 1.0 spec.  We'd like users using our connector to be able to update the RTC Priority property but there is no way for our connector to discover it generically without specifically coding for RTC.  If another repository exposes Priority differently, we'd like to be able discover that and any other extended attributes they provide.
Use case:  To create an RTC CM, the "FiledAgainst" property is required but there is no way for a connector to know this generically and would be forced to create a specific connector for RTC.  We need this to be discoverable.

2)  We need to know the schema of the underlying property values.
Use case:  Owner could be an extended property of a provider supporting the 1.0 spec.  Owner might have an underlying schema like First Name, Last Name, Email, ID.  If we have a URL that will give us values for the Owner field and we can query on it, we need to know the schema up front and be able to discover it.  Thus we can provide a nice UI to show the LOV results with columned data and query results.

---
Denis Tyrell
Senior Director, Server Technologies
Oracle Corp