[OSLC-CM] RDF/XML syntax in the CM Service Description document

Steve K Speicher sspeiche at us.ibm.com
Mon Jan 4 09:25:34 EST 2010

Hi Ferran,

During the development of the CM 1.0 specs, we had a late goal to make our
XML documents RDF/XML valid.  We did so with the definition of a
ChangeRequest resource.  The service description document was never
changed to be made valid.   It was a lower priority in that service
discovery is often done less frequently and format is quite simple.  Some
confusion may be from the fact that the service description format reuses
the rdf:about attribute.

I'll log this as an issue and bring it  up with the WG.

Note, when a consumer requests application/rdf+xml on the service
description URL service provider implementations shouldn't return the
format specification for the service description document therefore
consumers should not depend on an RDF-parser for this.

Ferran Rodenas <frodenas at gmail.com> wrote on 01/03/2010 07:53:57 PM:
> I'm confused about the XML syntax used at the CM Service Description
> document. Is the intention of this specification to use the RDF/XML
> syntax? If yes, I am not an expert but it seems that the document
> specification doesn't follow the RDF convention, and, therefore, it
> isn't parseable by any RDF-XML parser. For example, some errors/
> syntax I don't understand:
>
> - Why don't specify rdf:resource attributes in url types? why not
> use "<oslc_cm:url rdf:resource='./bug'/>" instead of
> "<oslc_cm:url>./bug</oslc_cm:url>"?
>
> - Multiple children of a predicate arc are not allowed in RDF: in
> <dc:contributor><dc:title>...</dc:title><dc:identifier>...</
> dc:identifier><oslc_cm:icon>...</oslc_cm:icon></dc:contributor> you
> must define a object blank node
> <dc:contributor><rdf:Description>...</rdf:Description></
> dc:contributor> or a new object/subject node

<dc:contributor><oslc_cm:Contributor>...<oslc_cm:Contributor></dc:contributor>