[oslc-cm] History of changes on a resource

Sabri LABBENE sabri.labbene at it-sudparis.eu
Thu Dec 16 07:16:44 EST 2010

On 14/12/2010 16:11, Olivier Berger wrote:
> Le mardi 14 décembre 2010 à 10:00 -0500, Steve K Speicher a écrit :
>
>>> Is there something in the specs describing the standard representation
>>> of changes on a resource.
>>>
>> No, not at the moment.
>>

> ACK.
>

>>> In bugtrackers, we often have history views of the properties changes,
>>> with author and date, that help track who/what.
>>>
>> This would be useful, it just takes someone from WG to own/drive it.
>>
>> Some things to consider when defining this:
>>    - audit trails/history definitions that include what action had been
>> invoked
>>    - how much detail needs to be exposed on what properties were modified?
>>    - is this queryable?
>>

>>> Are such properties in the scope of OSLC-CM V2 (or more generally OSLC
>>> Core) ?
>>>
>> Since OSLC-CM V2 is final, we could not add it to V2 proper.  Though it
>> could be developed as an extension or part of a post-2.0 definition.
>>
>> We do have on our backlog [1] various properties like this and they came
>> out of the evaluation [2] we looking at common properties across many
>> different CM providers.  I would recommend we start with some concrete
>> scenarios in CM, possibly creating a minimal definition for this and then
>> evaluating along the way how/when it should be a common resource
>> definition / property.
>>
>> Sound like a reasonable approach?
>>

> Sure.
>
> One may also imagine something more in the top-down approach that would
> consider the general problem of history of changes on any OSLC Resource,
> and the "theorization"/standardization of RDF resource modification
> tracking, which would then belong to Core, I guess.

In the OSLC Core specs, there is the "oslc:Discussion" ressource which
seems to fit the requirement for "discussions" history around the change
Request ressources. I find it suitable for "follow-ups/comments"
definition. But, it lacks more information like the comment date and
author (for these, we can use the same oslc properties we use for change
request definition).

> Your approach seems more reasonable in the short term ;)
>
> I'll think about the needs we have for this, and eventually come back
> with more concrete proposal.

I propose to add to the previous few more ressources like:
"oslc:History" ressource, wich informs about the followings:
    - oslc:historyOf -> changeRequest ressource
    - oslc:Change = a RESSOURCE that contain:
        - oslc:property: the property that was changed
        - oslc:oldValue: old value of the change request property
        - oslc:newValue: the new value
        - dcterms:contributor: the foaf:person who did the change
        - dcterms:modified: a timestamps as the date when the change
occured.

There is also somthing missing which is the definition for an eventually
attached file to the change request (widely used feature in bug tracking
systems for instance). Currently I don't have a well defined schema for
that.

Comments welcome.

With best regards,

--